Sour, burning test in mouth, burning sensation in chest. UGI report suggests little reflux. Where is this pain coming from?

I have a sour taste burning taste in my mouth along with burning pain in my chest. I had an upper GI that showed very little reflux where could this pain be coming from?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Given your history and symptoms of burning pain in chest with salty taste in mouth, it looks like GERD only. It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.
5)     Also get a HIDA scan of gall bladder done to look at the functioning of the gall bladder.

If the proton pump inhibitors are not working then you may need surgery ( Nissan fundoplication).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.