Sores on the helix, pain on the bone behind the ear

ENT Specialist
sores (not blisters) on helix and hurts to touch behind ear on bone
I presently have no fever and no other symptoms that I know of
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 44 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that this is one sided, you have no history of recent trauma, ear piercing, or generalized disease (such as collagen-vascular disease, scleroderma, hypertension, thyroid disease, heart disease) and that your hearing is normal. Can you share a close up image of your ear via the add reports link ?

2. If you have recent onset sores on the helix you must get examined by an ENT or Skin Specialist to rule out Herpes. Other common conditions are cartilage infections (chondritis) and pressure sores (Chondrodermatitis Nodularis Helicis). A small skin biopsy may help if the sores do not heal.

3. Pain and tenderness in the bone behind the ear signifies Mastoiditis. You may require X-rays or an HRCT Temporal Bones.

4. You may follow up with the results of your investigations for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.