Soreness on the c-section scar. Pus formation and pain in the stomach. Is it a boil?

I just noticed tonight that I have a sore that has formed on my old c section scar is about 1 inch long by maybe 1/2 inch wide and is pussing and smells bad. I am really worried. my stomach has also started hurting and i feel sick. I have been eating but not much today. My husband thinks it looks like a boil that may have started to pop. Any clue what this could be or if i should have it seen too.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 28 minutes later

I have gone through your report and reviewed the picture attached. To me, it looks more like an area of inflammation and not a localized boil. Presence of foul smell and pus is suggestive of infection.
1. When did you have your c-section?
2. Do you have fever or vomiting associated with this?

There is possibility that the old surgical scar is infected. It needs to be reviewed by your gynecologist. The pus needs to be drained and cleaned with antiseptic medication following which you may need topical and oral antibiotic coverage.

In the meanwhile avoid handling the area with bare fingers. Clean the area with warm water and apply topical antiseptics like Betadine / Neosporin ointment and take oral anti-inflammatory drugs like advil twice daily after food for few days. Wear loose cotton clothes. Always keep the area dry.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.