Soreness on roof of mouth, swollen glands in neck. Might this be a virus?

Question
I have a sore "rash type" burning pain on the roof of my mouth, like a "rash" effect, accompanied by swollen glands in my neck (more pronounced on the right side). Might this be a virus?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions, mouth plays a significant role in moment-to-moment living. And even a minor oral problem can cause significant eating, drinking or communicating health consequences. Mouth is constantly taking in potentially mouth harming substances by way of the air you breath, the food that’s munched down on, those teeth picking fingers or bacterial and virus infection causing material allowed to pass through your lips. However, not all oral infections, pain or sores originate externally. Some diseases and disorders can be the genesis for trouble. But discovering its cause can be tricky. It could be due to tonsillitis, pharyngitis or even due to other conditions. Your sore mouth with rash treatment may depend on the cause of symptoms. Thus, will recommend you to kindly get yourself examined by your clinician who could diagnose and prescribe the requisite medication. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Soreness on roof of mouth, swollen glands in neck. Might this be a virus? 22 hours later
So how would I differentiate the symptoms that would be caused by a viral infection, versus a bacterial infection Remember there is pain, redness & scales on the upper pallet of my mouth, along with swollen glands in my neck. I am away on vacation & unable to see my doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
It will be very difficult to check if it is viral or bacterial, will recommend you take an antibiotic (broad spectrum like amoxicillin-clavulanic acid) which will take care of the bacterial concern, else if it is a viral it will subside over few days. You could take an anti-inflammatory along with the antibiotic to reduce the redness. Once you are back, you could get yourself examined by your clinician. If you do not have any further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Wish you good health. Thanks