Soreness in thyroid, discomfort around Adams apple, white tongue. Could this be cancer?

Question
My thyroid is a little sore and I feel discomfort around my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX My tongue appears to be white as well. Looking online it could be anything from cancer to an infection. I am very worried do you think it is cancer?
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Cancer is probably the last and most impropable diagnosis to be considered in your case.
I'm not very sure how you are able to say that your thyroid is sore- maybe you meant throat is sore. Discomfort, soreness, pain and difficulty in swallowing could all be related to throat infection. White tongue could also be related to infection and needs to be investigated. So consult your physician.

You can also get your thyroid function test checked simultaneously.Infections in neck or throat can sometimes involve thyroid gland leading to thyroiditis which can be associated with transient thyroid dysfunction.
So Ithink nothing serious to worry as of now. But you definitely need to be examined and investigated to diagnose the problem.

Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Soreness in thyroid, discomfort around Adams apple, white tongue. Could this be cancer? 4 minutes later
Thank you very much for your time Dr. XXXXXXX .. I did go to the MD today and she thought it was a thyroid goiter. She has sent me for a thyroid sonogram tomorrow. I was able to notice the pain as it is sore to the touch and I have no discomfort swallowing... That is what really got me concerned... The MD also didn't think it was cancerous.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Ok fine. If thyroid is enlarged then thyroid function test will have to be done.