Soreness in the ball of frenulum, lymph node swelling on eating something. On enbrel for psoriatic arthritis. Causes for swelling?

ENT Specialist
Starting just yesterday, when I eat the ball of my frenulum gets very sore only on my left side, and in addition a lymph node also on the left side a little under my jaw becomes very swollen. It does not hurt if I am not eating and awhile after eating the swelling goes away. Other than that I do not have a sore throat or fever and feel pretty good. I am on Enbrel for psoriatic arthritis.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your history suggests the need to rule out an early acute sub-mandibular salivary gland infection (Sialadenitis) which usually follows a partial blockage of the sub-mandibular salivary gland (Wharton's Duct) due to a small stone or rarely due to decreased salivary flow and sometimes a stricture.

2. On clinical examination a sub-mandibular salivary gland swelling is 'balllotable' which means that it can be felt between a finger in the floor of the mouth and a finger on the neck swelling, while a lymph node swelling is not. An ultrasound (USG) Neck can confirm the findings. Sub-mandibular salivary gland stones are usually seen on X-rays (unlike Parotid salivary gland stones). The duct papilla next to the frenulum under the tongue may be inflamed.

3. Initial treatment includes an antibiotic which is secreted in saliva such as Clindamycin, a pain killer, local hot fomentation and massage. If the blockage is due to a small stone/s, chewing on citrus fruits and lemon may help. This treatment should be taken under medical supervision only after medical examination by a local physician or ENT Specialist.

4. Sialendoscopy is a new procedure which you should know about. This may not be required after a first attack, which should subside with medication.

5. Enbrel (etanercept) is an immunosupressant, hence infection is a likely cause.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.