Soreness in back muscles and arm. Suggest further tests to determine the problem

Hi my muscles don't seem to have any resistance compared to previously (ie prior to starting statin medication, I stopped the statins about 9 months ago but still have ongoing issues with muscle soreness, comes on the next day generally, after activity) for example the other day I pulled some weeds out of my garden bed and the next day my back muscles and arms were sore as a result, Playing golf the other day the following day my hands were sore (never been an issue prior to starting statin medication). I have checked my CK levels and they are normal, is there any other blood type tests that I should take to determine if I can find what the problem might be. I understand that statins deplete your coQ10, should I be tested for these levels to see where they are at? Should I maybe give myself a daily hit of magnesium?? Any suggestions would be appreciated as something is not right with me.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Exclude other causes of same symptoms first. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is true that statin therapy is associated to myopathy in some some patients. However, in your case, it might be very difficult and not very proper to ASSOCIATE what you are experiencing to statins for two main reasons: 1. 9 months after discontinuation of therapy would rarely be accompanied by continued side effects as you describe, and the swelling and muscles getting sore after such a period are very unlikely. 2. Normal CK levels are good indication that there is no active muscle inflammation. It is very rare to have statin intoxication or statin induced activity without raised CK levels. In very rare situations, side effects might persist up to this extent. I do humbly think that other conditions that do present in a similar manner, and being even more compatible with what you present should be considered and screened for first. Rheumatoid arthris, polymyaligia rheumatica, Lupus and other systemic diseases do present as such. Measuring the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (degree of inflammation , chronic in the body(, a complete blood count, Rheumatoid factor for rheumatoid arthritis and HLA27 levels are initial tests that could guide eventual diagnostic tests and treatment. It is only in case of normality of these tests that any cause like statin induction could be considered. My advice is you visit your internist for a proper, holistic clinical review. Thanks and hope this helps. Please, do feel free asking any follow up questions in case you got any specific concerns. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Rogers