Sore upper arm and hip, having black out episodes. Reason?

Hi, I have a very sore left upper arm, not related to physical excercise. The left side of my hip at the back also has a XXXXXXX dull ache, just like the upper outside muscle of my arm. About 2 weeks ago I passed out three times in one night. Sort of came from nowhere and was not alcohol related. I have never passed out before bu because I was home alone I am not sure of the duration of the blackouts - Other than the last one which knocked my clock of the wall ( and yes I had a sore head) which stopped at 10.30pm and when I came to I made a phone call which was at 11.15pm. The arm thing is new tonight.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 19 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Are you Diabetic or Hypertensive?
2.) Are you on any other medications other than the ones mentioned?
3.) Since how long are you experiencing these blackouts?
4.) Has this happened to you earlier?
5.) Does this happen to you when you are in a triggering situation like seeing blood or during emotional distress?
6.) Do you have numbness or weakness anywhere in your body?

Your History suggests you are suffering from either,

1.) Vasovagal Syncope.
2.) Transient Ischemic Attacks (TIA).

Both these conditions have to be ruled out. Kindly get yourself examined by a Neurologist so that he/she may examine you in detail and suggest few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Computerized Tomography /Magnetic Resonant Imaging of the Brain.
3.) EKG (electrocardiogram).
4.) 2D Echocardiography of heart.
5.) Carotid ultrasonography.
6.) Tilt table test.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly. Sore Arm, Hip and Head is due to the minor injuries which you have sustained secondary to Blackouts.

Hope I have answered your query, Kindly get back to me with the answers and if you have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.