Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore tongue,irritation.Treatment?

the tip of my tongue is irritated and sore. What can i do to soothe it
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Follow-up: Sore tongue,irritation.Treatment? 2 minutes later
what causes this . I do not eat spicy foods.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

You probably have 'apthous ulceration' on tongue. The probable cause may be B-complex deficiency in general or Folic Acid in particular. Or It might be injury because of tooth bite.

In either case, you may get better by using a B-complex pill twice a day, which would contain Folic Acid also. Or you may take Folic Acid 5mg twice a day. You could use them for a week to 10 days.

For soothing the pain; you may use 'Benzocaine Gel' before taking any food. It is a local anaesthetic which would dull any pain. It would not harm you when you swallow it; as it is a medicine to be used in mouth. After eating, you may gargle to remove any food particle and apply the Benzocaine Gel again.

Hope I have answered your query. I am available for follow up queries.

Follow-up: Sore tongue,irritation.Treatment? 14 hours later
thanks,but also, could this condition also be causing a loss of taste in those particular areas of the tongue. It feels like my taste is affected.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 4 minutes later
Yes, taste buds are present on the tip of tongue. Taste buds are also affected by B-Complex deficiency. Thus there will loss of taste. So take plenty of B-Complex containing diet and also B-Complex supplementation by tablets.