Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore tongue, muscle pull, hurts to swallow, ear sore, have sleep apnea

Dentist, Pedodontics
My tongue is sore only on the right side and way in the back of my tongue. Feels like it is sore where the tongue connects to the jaw bone. Kind of feels like I pulled a muscle on it. Hurts only when swallowing and makes right ear sore when swallowing. Does not feel like a canker sore in my mouth. Developed 4 days ago. I have been sleeping with my fan on and it is cold outside. I also have sleep apnea.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 11 hours later

You have reported the following symptoms:
- Tongue sore that is way back of the tone
- Pain only when swallowing
- Ear pain when swallowing

Based on the description, I feel your symptoms are probably related to either a traumatic ulcer of the tongue which is getting infected or tonsil pathology such as tonsillitis.

I would suggest you to seek medical attention at the earliest. You may need a course of appropriate antibiotics along with antiinflammatory medications.

Meanwhile as you plan to your dentist visit, the following measures might help you.

1. Warm saline gargles - Gargling with XXXXXXX warm water mixed with salt/betadine will reduce the discomfort.
2. Vitamin B supplements - one pill a day for 1-2 weeks
3. If the pain is severe, oral antinflammatory drugs such as tylenol pain relief taken twice a day will benefit you.

Hope I have provided you with useful information to help you. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries. Yet should you have any other queries, I will be available to address them.