Sore tongue, difficulty in talking and breathing, cough with blood. What could the cause be?

I have XXXXXXX sore tounge and hard oi talk and a hard time breathing. I gargel with salt water many times but nothing has changed. Only now I cought up something that looks like a scab along with blood how ever I can talk better but only for a few moments . This happened 2 times
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I have gone through your query and I would like to first ask if you have had any injuries or surgeries of the throat (eg. tonsillectomy, caustic injuries, etc.)? I would appreciate this information, thank you.

A scab usually grows when either a surgical procedure has caused a wound or an injury from food or drinks has occurred anywhere in the oral cavity or the throat. This might be the reason why you are having hard time breathing. Do not worry about the scabs, they will reduce with time, as healing is a little slow in this part of the body, it takes time. Continue to eat soft food and cold drinks, which will promote healing.

Try to avoid coughing, which usually irritates the throat, if you really have to cough try your best to be as soft as possible.

I shall be waiting to hear from you about any history that could have caused injuries in your throat. If there is anything I have forgotten to address or if you have any further clarifications, please do write back to me, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Sore tongue, difficulty in talking and breathing, cough with blood. What could the cause be? 18 hours later
No surgerys just a nasty sore throut and sores on my tonge. Breathing is hard at night.
When I do cough a red like dried blood hard come up from the cough. At night I go through coughing fit .after about 6 mins it stops with me in tears and cold sweat. Please help. Drs here in las vegas seem to play. PASS the Buck. I am not inclined to play
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Hello once again.

Thank you for writing to us.

Sometimes these sores can get nasty and start bleeding, which is why you have fits of cough or the dried up blood. You will have to be treated for this depending on which condition you have. Generally this is related to a bacterial or viral infection.

Please provide details about your symptoms so that I am able to assist you better. I also recommend that you see a doctor for a physical examination along with some investigations like x-ray, examination of the blood or sputum (if produced).

Request for the following investigations and write back to me with their results, and I shall try my best to guide you through the management of your condition:
-Chest x-ray (PA view)
-Sputum analysis (if produced)
-Analysis of the coughed up substance
-Routine blood investigation (CBC, WBC, etc.)
-Vitamin B12 levels (also cause soreness in oral cavity)

And although there is a procedure which can help, it might cost a tad bit more than the others on this list, it is called bronchoscopy and helps in examining the insides of your respiratory tract. It will also help in taking biopsies of the lesions and sending it to the laboratory.

I hope this helps. I only wish for your best and I promise to try my best to assist you, please feel free to write back to me any time and I shall be more than happy to assist you.