Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore tip of tongue, numbness, dryness in inside lip, tongue burns and feels slimy after eating certain foods

Dentist, Prosthodontics
The tip of my tongue is sore and feels numb and my bottom inside lip is dry. And when I eat certain foods my tongue feels slimy and it burns.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your symptoms I feel, that you are suffering from a condition known as Burning mouth syndrome. It is most commonly found in females above the age of 35years.

There is no main, known reason for it, but a lot of factors are associated with this condition, the most important being Stress, anxiety and depression.

The symptoms include:
-dry mouth
-burning sensation on tongue and other parts of the oral cavity
-numbness especially on tongue
-white patches in the oral cavity (sometimes) indicating oral thrush etc

The only treatment you can do is symptomatic in nature, such as:
-drink lots of water during the day to keep yourself hydrated
-avoid spicy foods
-avoid mouthwashes with alcohol base
-take multivitamin tablets
-sucking on ice chips makes some patients more comfortable
-use antifungal mouthwash

If white patches are present, then antifungal tablets may help, for which I would recommend you to visit a dentist for examination and treatment.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.