Sore throat,weakness,tiredness,shivering,feeling ill,paracetamol

Hello, i have been feeling ill for 2 days, i have a sore throat, i feel kind of week, i have been a bit tireless as well since i was looking after my mum who is injured. The reason im contacting you now is because even though i am taking paracetomal i was still feeling ill. recently even though the room is hot i started to shiver till i wore something really warm and got in the bed. i took another paracetomal the shivering has gone now but i feel really hot now. is this normal or shall i see a doctor now, it is 21:45 in england.

Thank you for your help
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 51 minutes later
This kind of fever with chills usually indicates infection in the body.Now there are several kinds of conditions that may cause this.To determine the exact cause,you will need to undergo some blood tests like CBC,malarial parasite,urinte microscopy etc.The sore throat that you have is another symptoms and a source of infection.
Paracetamol will work only temporarily.You will need a course of antibiotics after tests confirm.
Meanwhile you need to keep drinking fluids and eat to keep your strength up.
I will suggest seeing your doctor and getting some basic blood tests done so that you can get the appropriate antibiotics.
Follow-up: Sore throat,weakness,tiredness,shivering,feeling ill,paracetamol 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply, Since last night the shivering has stopped, i still feel kind of warm. Would the infection get better on its own, or shall i go to see my local clinic, i ask this because, it will probably take 2-3 days for me to get an appointment unless i go as emergancy and if by that time i feel better does that mean i dont have an infection anymore or shall i still see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 minutes later
I do think that you may require a course of antibiotics.Even if the the symptoms reduce,the infection source may remain in the body.You may relapse later. So I suggest that you see your doctor and get tested. Meanwhile you can continue the paracetamol for relief.
Follow-up: Sore throat,weakness,tiredness,shivering,feeling ill,paracetamol 1 hour later
Ok i made an appointment with a doctor, luckily they had space today.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 17 hours later
You are welcome,

Thanks for using the service.

Wish you good health.