Sore throat with pain. Is allery the cause of it?

I have had a moderately sore throat during the day for most of this week, then woke up in the middle of the night with excruiating pain last night (a 9 or 10). But now the pain is back down to around a 5 today at work. Strep Throat or allergies more likely? Thanks so much
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The most likely cause of this is a virus. Viral infections of the throat can cause swelling and pain. In your case I would recommend supportive care measures which include the following:
1) Good fluid hydration - especially with water
2) Limit intake of sweets and sugars
3) Use ibuprofen 400-600 mg three times per day as needed for pain
4) Warm salt water gargles to help with some of the pain as well

If the symptoms persist beyond the next 48 hours would recommend you see a physician for s strep test.

Thanks again for submitting your question. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga