Sore throat with blocked nose and yellow mucous. Violent sneezing leading to urinary incontinence, chest pain. Infection?

Thank you. I have a sort of flu but some things about it puzzle me. I started with a sore throat and it has now progressed to thick yellow mucus especially at night. Nose completely blocked, although drips itchy pale yellow stuff and pain throughout my sinuses. Because of the blocked nose I am mouth breathing and drooling yellow at night. Violent sneezing leading to urinary incontinence, and pain throughout my chest when coughing sneezing etc. I'm very watery - eyes streaming, stinging and swollen. Cough bringing up yellow mucus at night and white during the day. Throat no longer sore internally but swollen and tender externally. My colds always follow this pattern and last for at least 2 weeks. Do I have another, underlying sort of infection that should be treated, and how do I find out?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

What is clear from what you describe is there an upper respiratory tract infection. This infection is certainly of bacterial origin considering the yellow nature of the mucous that you observe.

It should be a probably bacterial rhinitis certainly. If poorly treated, complications to affect nearby structures are very possible. Acute bacterial Rhinosinusitis is the commonest complication, characterized by nasal passage blockages, post nasal drip, pain over the sinus areas, headaches, excessive tearing in the eyes since the nasal and tear ducts of the eyes are close interconnected. When an acute rhinitis when mucus blocks the tubes that drain tears from the eyes to the nasal fossa, it is normal to observe excessive tears production as is observed actually now in your case.

Management shall involve a complete clinical evaluation, preferably now by an ENT specialist, considering the fact that this has been going on for quite some time. It is very important to exclude possible sinusitis and other local complications. Special X rays to explore sinus integrity might be asked (Blondeau and Hertz incidences). A laboratory examination of the yellow mucous, culture and sensitivity tests to determine the causative organism and the particular antibiotic that could be effective on it are possible examinations that shall be asked.
Treatment would involve clearing of the nasal passages, prescription of appropriate antibiotics and other additive therapies as shall be revealed by the physical exam and tests.

My suggestion is booking an urgent appointment with an ENT specialist.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Sore throat with blocked nose and yellow mucous. Violent sneezing leading to urinary incontinence, chest pain. Infection? 26 minutes later
Thank you - it certainly sounds plausible. Why however does it always follow the same pattern? Is there an underlying cause always present that flares up whenever the causitive factor starts? I presume this causative factor is the cold germ? Is it an anatomical problem? Would the x rays reveal this?
And if it's a nose problem why does it always start in the throat?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 42 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would love to precise again that the throat, nose and nasal passages and sinuses are all interconnected. An infection in one of these areas easily can get to the other sites if not properly addressed.

You are certainly right by thinking of a possible anatomical problem as a predisposing factor. Enlarged adenoids or tonsils, excessive large concha in the nose, nasal polyps are all anatomical conditions that could predispose to recurrent infection of nasal blockages respectively. An accurate diagnosis of these factors require the expertise of an ENT specialist. This was the basis of suggesting an ENT consultation.

Special X rays on sinuses could reveal a sinus infection if present. Direct examination of the throat, use of laryngoscopes and flexible fibroscopy by the ENT specialist should reveal other anatomical predisposing factors, as earlier mentioned, with much ease.

Thanks and hope this helps. I still strongly suggest you get an ENT consultation.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.