Sore throat with a bump and pus on tonsils. What could this be?

Hello.. I have a slight sore throat with puss on my tonsils. I looked in my throat with a light and seen a small blistery like bump next to my tonsil. I poked at it and it bled a little. Im just really concerned about what it could be?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is a bacterial of the throat/oral cavity Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Forum. More details of your problem would have yielded valuable information to me. Nevertheless, do you have associated fever and pain, painful swallowing, common cold features? Presence of these symptoms, would suggest a bacterial infection and a condition called Acute Pustular Tonsilo-Pharyngitis, which need immediate initiation of effective antibiotics + anti-inflammatory pain-killers, along with saline gargles or with antiseptic solution. Consult your ENT specialist who, after examining you, will prescribe appropriate medications. Hope I have answered your query. I will be pleased to address to further clarifications, if any. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Sore throat with a bump and pus on tonsils. What could this be? 2 hours later
I dont think I have a fever. just stuffy nose with sore throat feels like sinus drainage down back of throat. I really don't feel that bad besides the reasons mentioned. I was just looking at my throat cuz it was sore and noticed the little bump right next to my tonsil. I had parents look and thats where the description of a blistery style bump came from. Hard to describe in writing. I scratched it and it bled a little. I have been worried about it all night haven't slept good. Please help me...
Brief Answer: You have Acute Sinusitis with throat infection Detailed Answer: Hi there, Welcome back! The additional information suggests that you have a Sinus problem, presently infected (most likely, bacterial/viral infection) with a post-nasal drip of infected secretions. The infected secretions coming from the sinuses, tend to lodge in the space surrounding the tonsil, where the causative microorganism propagate and cause a blister (called a pustule). Any infection needs a prompt course of antibiotics; otherwise the infection spreads to surrounding area and cause more pustules. Early treatment prevents this and shortens the disease course. Further, a minor infection may not result in fever or malaise. Hence, I recommend that- in addition to antibiotics and other medications advised above, you also add anti-histaminic drug (such as cetirizine or levocetirizine), nasal decongestant sprays/drops and steam inhalation THROUGH the nose. Both : sinusitis and secondary throat infection need to be tackled simultaneously. Please do not worry: have faith in me. You will get significant relief in 2-3 days' time, with complete cure within a week or so. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Sore throat with a bump and pus on tonsils. What could this be? 3 hours later
My concern was some type of mouth cancer. I over react to things according to my parents. The photos I saw of postule look like pimple with puss. This just looks like a small bump right next to my tonsil. I scratched it and it bled. I do have plaque lookin white stuff in my tonsil. Are u confident with the answer u told me? Please help.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: possibility of mouth cancer is REMOTE Detailed Answer: Hi there, * Firstly, a pimple containing pus is called Pustule (as already stated above). * Secondly, you will appreciate that the specialist's online opinion is based SOLELY on the information available to him. He does not have privilege of physically examining the patient, which is the MOST important factor in reaching to a definite diagnosis. * Hence, from the details provided by you and, considering your age, I do NOT foresee the possibility of mouth cancer. Yes, it could have been considered as a remote possibility, if you are a chronic smoker or a tobacco chewer. But this information is not available with me. * Further, you have now revealed, for the first time, about presence of white plaques, which-in all likelihood- suggest a superadded fungal infection. However, all this notwithstanding, I am still of the firm opinion that it is either a viral (particularly, herpes)/bacterial with superadded fungal infection, which can ONLY BE CONFIRMED by culture of the throat swab taken from the affected site. If required, a biopsy may have to be taken. I would therefore strongly recommend that you consult an ENT specialist, who will physically examine your oral cavity, study the pimple and white plaques, order for throat swab culture and- if he deems it as necessary- may even order a biopsy. You may discuss my online opinion and the advised treatment with him, as he is the best judge to know what would be the course of action. Find regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal