Sore throat, white spots on the tonsils, cough. Tried Lemsip, throat lozenges. History of asthma

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've had a sore throat for 5 days - red raw which white spots on the tonsils. Now started coughing too, so bad that I vomit without notice. Tried Lemsip, throat lozenges, etc but not helping. Any suggestions? I also have asthma, aged 40
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
From your description it seems that your sore throat has now developed into tonsillitis and the white spots you are seeing on your tonsils are the pus points. Usually these are associated with difficulty in swallowing, cough and fever.
1) The mainstay of the treatment is antibiotics - broad spectrum. You can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination.
2)For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.
3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Soar Substances.
Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.