Sore throat, swollen tonsil, painful swallowing. What can I do to help with the pain and swelling?

Hi I am 24 female. I have had a sore throat for three weeks now and my right tonsil is so swollen it hurts to swallow, talk etc. I have no insurance and the urgent care is closed but I am so miserable any tips on what I can do to help with pain and swelling? Any ideas what I might be dealing with since the doctors around her can't figure it out??
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later

From your history it seems you are suffering from throat infection.I feel there is a bacterial infection which may need antibiotic treatment.

As urgent care is closed I would suggest you to gargle with hot water with normal salt or a dis solvable DISPRIN (if not allergic to). For the pain you can also take orally an over the counter medicine like Motrin 400mg after meal. Sucking popsicles can sometimes ease the swelling in the throat and helps in swallowing. A lot of fluids along with warm ginger tea, milk with pepper are effective home remedies. Try out these and at least one should work before you go to the urgent care for a RN / doctor's prescription.

I would suggest you to consult a doctor. A physical examination is needed to assess the condition of your throat and the doctor shall prescribe you necessary antibiotics. I guess you shall not be immune towards all types or groups of antibiotics. To treat infection you will need some antibiotic either from penicillin group or from macrolide group and you shall be fine.

Hope that answer your concern.In case of any other query please write back and I shall help you.
Please accept this answer and close the query if you have no further questions.