Sore throat, runny nose and diarrhea. Should I consult a doctor?

General Surgeon
I started with a regular cold last Tuesday (8) days ago. Sore throat, runny nose, no fever. After the 5th day(early Sunday morning) I started with a low fever of around 100.5 - 101.2. Since then sometimes I'm queasy, but have not vomited. The third day after the fever started (today) I started having diarrhea totally liquid yellow. About an hour ago I started to feel very queasy but again did not vomit. I still have a runny nose and a cough that as of last night is really affecting my sleep. I can feel the post nasal drip going down my throat almost constantly. I have barely eaten anything for the last 3 days. I've been trying to keep up on my liquids so I don't get dehydrated. Now my throat and ears are starting to hurt from the coughing. Should I go see a doctor or wait it out?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should see a doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Usually such symptoms indicate viral infection like cold or flu. The symptoms should get better in few days after the start of infection. If not, bacterial infection is either a reason or appears due to weaker immune system which is busy fighting the virus. Diarrhea and vomiting is most likely caused by mucus swallowing and some OTC medicines for cold. So we can treat it as an reaction to the infection.
And as this might be bacterial infection, I suggest you to visit your doctor, have physical examination and consider antibiotic (Amoxiciline) treatment.
You should also start probiotic and vitamin C supplementation to strengthen your immune system.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.