Sore throat, running nose, fever, shivering, sweating. No respite after taking Doxy. What should I do?

A week ago I took ill with sore throat and running nose. I'm now getting 102-103 fever in the evenings which subsides in the morning. There have been instances of shivering and sweating too. Malaria and Widal tests are negative. TLC DLC are normal, ESR is 22. I have taken Doxy for 5 days and started Arte+CD yesterday. There is no respite. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
thanks for the query.
The symptoms you are having are most probable with malarial fever but along with that you are also having exposure to antibiotics and anti malarial you should have some lab investigations so that you can receive definite treatment. you should have a throat swab for culture and sensitivity to yield to the organism responsible for causing sore throat. other than that repeat the malarial parasite (MP) test by prick method both thick and thin smear at the time when you are having peak temperature. Also i would like to know your hemoglobin levels.
will be waiting for your response
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib
Follow-up: Sore throat, running nose, fever, shivering, sweating. No respite after taking Doxy. What should I do? 22 hours later
Hb is 14.5, yesterday my temp. stayed under 100 and today it's 97.5. I do have dry cough still and weakness. Will complete Arte+CD course today. Completed 5 days of Doxy, do I need any other medication for my cough? It's very irritating.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later
thanks for the reply
Most probably your temperature has been settled which seems to be of malarial origin and you also have used Doxy for sore throat so there is no use to take any further antibiotics. hope your temperature stays within normal range. however you can use Acefylline syrup 1 TSF 3 times a day for the dry cough.
feel free for further queries