Sore throat, red patches at the border of tonsillectomy. History of tonsil removal. Should i be worried?

ENT Specialist
I often feel a mild sore throat on the left side when swallowing. Looking into my mouth I see 3-4 red patches at the border of the white tonsillectomy site. (Tonsils removed 60 yrs ago) Sometimes feel a sensation go up to my ear also.
Thank You
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The reddish patches what you are noticing over the post tonsillectomy site could be the presence of sub epithelial lymphoid follicles.

Sub epithelial lymphoid follicles are the collection of secondary lymphoid tissue in the sub mucosal layer of the throat which enlarges in response to the infection in the throat. In the absence of tonsils, these lymphoid follicles play an important part in the immune system and help in combating infections in the throat.

The lymphoid follicles in the throat are also termed as granulations of the pharyngeal wall and are usually noticed in long standing throat infection, acid reflux disease, sinusitis, etc. The sensation of the pain referring to the ear is due to the common nerve supply.

Please do not worry! This is one of the commonest ENT problems and I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, use povidone iodine throat gargles or spray and also can try taking mild anti-inflammatory medicines (such as diclofenac); avoid coffee, chilled food and beverages.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon