Sore throat, pain radiating to tongue, not able to eat. Suggest medication

ENT Specialist
I am a nurse away from home and have gradually developed a sore throat, seems to radiate throughout my mouth especially my tongue. It is so painful I am miserable, considering going to an emergency room or urgent care center. I am working but am not sure if I can continue not eating due to the pain.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

have gonne through your query regarding your sore throat and severe pain specially over your tongue.

Here I would like to tell you that most probbly you are having ulcers on your tongue along with sore throat because in sore throat usually only posterior part of tongue is involved and that most of the time does not hurt so severily.

Regarding treatment for immidiate relief you can take-

(a) Antibiotic- Amoxicillin 625 mg three times a day.

(b) Anti inflammatory Analgesic- Combination of Diclofenac with Serrtiopeptidase Twice a day.

(c) If you are non diabetic than chewable tablet of Defazacort will give you quick relief.

(d) Antiseptic mouth wash and gargling.

I hope this will help you.

Follow-up: Sore throat, pain radiating to tongue, not able to eat. Suggest medication 38 minutes later
Guessing this means I must follow up with a my primary physician for the antibiotic rx, I have a few more days away from home it only seems to worse with every day. Do you think a urgent care center would recognize this? This pain definiatly started in the tonsils which are very large and have yellowish patches and the back of the tongue also. The tip of my tongue has red tiny inflamed areas. It hurts to even close my mouth let alone eat or talking even hurts. not sure if I have a fever not have not checked it.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 57 minutes later

Welcome again in H.C.M for doubts.

As you are telling that your tonsills are enlarged and there are having yellowish patches that means you are having Acute follicular tonsillitis. For immidiate relief you should take-

(a) Amoxicillin 625 mg three times a day.

(b) Combination of Diclofenac (50 mg) and Serratiopeptidase (15 mg) twice a day.

(c) Betadine gargling.

By this treatment you will get relief and afterwards you may consult ENT specialist for thorough examination and relevent investigations to make correct diagnosis and than final treatment plan.

This above treatment will give you relief at present and will not interfere with future planing.