Sore throat, pain on swallowing, hoarse voice, swollen gland in neck, coughing with phlegm. Diagnose the problem.

My mother is unwell with the following problems-
-Persistent, severe sore throat. Pain on swallowing that ranges from slight discomfort to severe pain.
-Hoarse voice
-Swollen left gland in neck.
-Slight fever and body pain.
-Sharp coughing with phlegm. Symptoms worst at night and in morning

Can you please diagnose the problem and suggest some instant relief measures
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later
Hello ,

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

Common causes for a sore throat include post nasal drip, a viral sore throat and stomach acid reflux. less commonly, especially in a 68 year old, a bacteria, such as strep is the cause. Swollen glands, slight fever, body aches and cough suggest an infection. This constellation, including the sore throat, is most consistent with a viral infection. Viral infections go away by themselves over time. If this end up being the diagnosis, then supportive measures are indicated, including rest, fluids, lozenges to sooth the throat and pain relievers. You can discuss this with your mother's treating doctor, as only he or she can make an actual diagnosis and recommend treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz
Follow-up: Sore throat, pain on swallowing, hoarse voice, swollen gland in neck, coughing with phlegm. Diagnose the problem. 45 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Schwartz. But, I also need to know what remedy could be taken immediately (since its night time and her doctor is not available until morning) to get some relief.

Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 58 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXXX

I am happy to answer your question. Of course, recommending a remedy depends on an accurate diagnosis, which is beyond the scope of this forum. Having said that however, if one's diagnosis is viral infection of the throat (viral pharyngitis) then remedies include over the counter analgesics, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxyn (Aleve), assuming the patient has no intolerance or allergies to the drug and there is no history of gastrointestinal bleeding (for the latter two, but not an issue with acetaminophen). This can be combined with a good lozenge that contains an anesthetic, such as Sucrets.

I Wish you Good Health. If you are satisfied with my response, then please do not forget to accept it.

Dr. J. Schwartz