Sore throat, pain in waist, spine and neck that causes headache, bump in nostril hurts. Which doctor to visit?

Symptons are pain starting from the waist on the spine up to my neck and causing a headache, also have had many sores in my mouth even on my tongue. very bad sore throat, ear pain and stuffy nose. Have a bump on the inside of my left nostril that hurts when that area is touched. Saw a PA and was informed it was a virus, but gave me penicillin script if I didn't get better. Started 500mg 3X a day of penicillin-2 days ago and still not feeling better. Now also having nausia and loss of appetite. Any suggestions of what type of doctor I should see? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later

It would be advisable if you consult your regular physician who will be in the best position to perform a comprehensive evaluation.

Since you already have a history of fibromyalgia, the pain in the lower back radiating to the neck could possibly be attributed to this condition. This can be treated using low doses of analgesics which can be obtained on prescription from your treating physician.

The presence of sores in the mouth, sore throat, ear pain and stuffy nose could be due to an Tablet Zyrtec 10 mg once daily orally after food for about 3 days, steam inhalation and warm saline gargles which would bring relief.

The swelling that you have noticed in your left nostril could be due to a hypertrophied turbinate which can be due to allergic rhinitis in your case. Other causes of swelling could be folliculitis, nasal polyps amongst others. If the swelling in the nose does not resolve or get better with time, you could see an otolaryngologist who would be the best person to advise you.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.