Sore throat, no appetite, taken antibiotics. Is it giardia?

my son was recently on an outdoor trip at Pistol Creek, Idaho. he was OK the first two days back,then became ill with major headache, sore throat, stomach cramps, naseau. today he woke up with bad leg cramps. we took him to the doctor here in Manhattan Beach, and they said it was a virus so he is on day 4 of 5 day anti biotics. he is almost worse today even though on medication, sleeping right now and has no appetite, crying due to sore throat, etc. i have researched giardia (sp?) from injesting river water, but even when we brought it up to DR. he did not think that was what it was. i've never seen my son this out of it. he is 10 years old. thanks!
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!
Your son has all the likelihood of having a viral syndrome and viruses hardly respond to antibiotics. He should receive decongestants like Sinarest/Wikoryl 6hourly for sore throat.
With history of headache, fever and nausea/vomitting there is possibility of serious brain infection and your son should have a lumbar puncture- CSF examination and an MRI brain done along with CSF and blood cultures.
Giardia can not cause such acute illness and is not a cause for his problem.
He may need antivirals to be started if his MRI Brain shows viral infections.
Aggressive control of temperature is worthwhile- with acetaminophen and tepid sponging. Keep the child well hydrated and ensure he takes meals regularly.
You can communicate with your doctor about my referal, he would be happy.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.