Sore throat, leg and arm pain, headaches, diarrhea, coughing, green sputum, no history of ENT problems. Causes ?

started with slight sore throat, progressed to arms/legs aching, headache, diarrhea, some coughing - now getting up some greenish sputum, generalized weakness; 56 yof, normally well, no history of ENT problems. planning to get flu shot in the near future - this felt like the flu to me - haven't had anything like this in a very very long time and dont want it again. Thanks very much.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 30 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

Greenish sputum is sure sign of bacterial infection (mostly Pseudomonas) and would need prescription Antibiotics for some time. Your flu seem to have progressed to the present infection. It can be cured completely with proper Antibiotics. You may need to do some investigations like sputum culture and sensitivity to confirm the diagnosis and choose the right antibiotic.

My advice to you for now:
1. Visit the doctor for focused examination and Antibiotic prescription.
2. Do some warm water gargling with salt/iodine.
3. Rest of your medications are fine, but inform the doctor.

I hope I have answered your concern now.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Sore throat, leg and arm pain, headaches, diarrhea, coughing, green sputum, no history of ENT problems. Causes ? 54 minutes later
i assume it wud still be advisable to get the flu shot for this season. This is no fun at all - i may have spoken too fast about the color of the sputum so i will observe it and I know that if it is "clear" i wud not necessarily need antibiotic ?? I work for pulmonologists but from home - hopefully feel like going to my office tomorrow and they can see me. I guess it can just take a few days to get over this - I am not a patient person especially when the weather is beautiful and fall is my favorite time of year.

Thanks so much XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hi again,

Well in that case - you are right.

Adequate rest, good hydration, nutritious food along with regular warm saline gargles will help you to recover faster.

Wish you a healthy and speedy recovery. Write back if you have further queries.

Thanks once again for posting your query here.