Sore throat, inflamed soft palette and clogged up sinus. Taking claritin and flonase. How long will this last?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sore throat and inflamed soft palette and uvula for 10 days now. I have been to a cvs minute clinic after 3 days(given flonase at the time) but didn't need it till last night), doctor after a week who said all should be fine, and urgent care yesterday morning. A rapid swab was done to rule out strep (negative). I was told its viral and to gargle with salt water and use a zinc lozenge ( I have been doing tat for a week already with slight improvement) . Added to that, last 2 nights, my nasal sinuses started majorly clogging up too. Claritin and Flonase are the 2 medications I started taking claritin day before yesterday and flonase yesterday. It seems like some sort of allergy is triggering the rhinitis.

I also did a sinus rinse with saline yesterday when the sinuses were not totally clogged. (felt better for a short while)

My questions are:

How long should this sore throat and inflammation last?

Is there anything I should or should not be eating/ drinking to help alleviate symptoms?

Is there anything that I should be taking other than what I have tried so far....explained below.

I have another appointment with a doctor who I hope will refer me to an allergist on Monday. In the meantime,

I took benadryl a couple of times in the night a few nights ago but I don't like how that makes me feel.

I took claritin yesterday at 9am and 9pm and a nasal shot of flonase at 11pm. It is now 8:20 am here can I do another dose? The claritin is 5mg and flonase 50mg. I do experience a little nausea from the claritin and a little thirst too.

Are these the right medications?

To boot, I also get anxious which I know doesn't help. I have not taken allopathic medication for years. I'm 44, male, and know that I am allergic to dust, mold, alcohol and caffeine, and possibly penicillin and aspirin. I am living in San XXXXXXX with my family and 2 small dogs (last 2 years) and this is the first reaction. Any ideas on what may have triggered it? Could my immune system be down due to the infection making my allergy acute?

What would you suggest?

It is night now and the nasal sinuses are still quite blocked. Took claritin 5mg 30 ,minutes ago and I took 1 spray of flonase in each nostril 20 minutes ago. How long should it take to give some relief?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin C, probiotic and warm liquids

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your query and your image, it suggests that you are suffering from sinusitis with oropharyngitis.

I am briefly describing your specific query, If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Duration of the disease depends on the specific causative agent but in most of the cases symptoms go away within two weeks.

I advise to
-avoid cold water, cold drinks, smoking and alcohol drinking.
-Drink lots of fluids, warm liquids, Vitamin C , Steam inhalation and probiotics.
-These are on the right medication. Take note of the following:

Claritin dose is 5mg to 10 mg once a day and may have some side effect such as Headache, Dry mouth, Nausea, Blurred vision and GI disturbance. You may go for better antihistaminics .

Wish you good health
Follow-up: Sore throat, inflamed soft palette and clogged up sinus. Taking claritin and flonase. How long will this last? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response
What are the better antihistamines that you would recommend? Are they over the counter or perscription?
I am getting close to the 2 week mark and during the day symptoms do subside on and off but night time is always difficult. I have an Air purifier running in the bedroom and windows closed - I wake up quite sweaty and hot a couple of times during the night ( not fever)
I do not drink or smoke.
On another question - what about a decongestant? Is there one that doesn't affect heart rate as I have had PACs every now and then?
The big question is - is this an allergic reaction or just a viral infection?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic Reaction

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for follow up query

You are suffering from the Heart disease and many antihistamines affects the cardiovascular system, therefore before taking the antihistamines , please consult your cardiologist.

Decongestant better in the sinus disease, as you are the patient of the heart disease better to take local acting nasal decongestant such as xylometazoline.

Wish you good health