Sore throat, high temperature. Allergic to penicillin. Should I be concerned?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sore throat and been stuffed up for 2 weeks. No body aches and only ran a temp first 2 day of 99.9 and 101.01. Cannot get rid of throat soreness, and it's REALLY sore feels disconnected when I swallow. I have been drinking a ton of water and resting alot. I am allegic to penicillian so I don't rush to DR as most antibiodics make me break out.....should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 43 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

Sore throat also known as pharyngitis is one of the commonest ENT problems. To start with, pharyngitis is usually of viral in origin and self resolving. Occasionally, bacterial infection can take over if the pharyngitis does not resolve within a week.

Do not worry! Initially, let us try to manage with symptomatic medicines. If it doesn't resolve within 3-4 days, you can get a throat swab done, followed by an appropriate antibiotic.

My suggestions to you are:
1. To drink plenty of warm water - this helps in increasing the blood supply and reduction of pain and congestion.
2. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac.
3. Use povidone iodine gargles/spray 3-4 times a day, after meals.
4. Avoid hot/cold food and beverages.
5. Avoid smoking and coffee.

Hope with the above measures you should be alright, please revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon