Sore throat, headache, high heart rate, tired, painful wisdom tooth, history of migraine, wore lenses

I have had a painful Wisdom tooth for quite some time (it comes and goes but is not painful at the moment). This week, starting on Thursday, I have been having a sore throat, followed by a mild/moderate headache for the last couple of days (I have had migraines before and it feels very much like the beginning of a migraine that never actually comes). I have also noticed a very high resting heart rate. Last time I checked regularly (in May/June) resting heart rate was between 51-54 bpm, the last few days it's been 80-90 bpm. I have been very tired and spent all my time on the couch with no improvement, bpm has actually increased from 80 to 90 the last 24 hours.
Personal history:
- 23 year old male
- I am in good shape and eat very healthy
- I have had 4-5 migraines (auras) before, starting 2 years ago, last one was about a month ago. I am nearsighted with slight austigmatism on left eye which I believe might have a connection with the migraines, as they have all occurred in periods with a lot of driving (45min/day) without lenses/glasses
- Started wearing lenses for the first time this week, Monday and Tuesday. Did not wear them on Wednesday/Thursday (illness started on Friday).
- This was second week back to strength training after the Summer. Trained hard every day this week and noticed a gradual decrease of energy. Last training session was during daytime on Thursday.

Usually I would not worry about something like this but such a significant increase in heart rate along with a headache that lasts for days is something that worries me.
Kind regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 57 minutes later

Thank you for a good description of your case

Few things are worth knowing, that might clarify some of your doubts

1. Normal pulse rate is 60--100 per minute. Even in normal conditions pulse rate varies between above said range. But if, still you want me to tell a single value, it is 72/min. During fever, pulse rate rises, a rough guide being 10 beats / 1 degree rise of temperature. I don't know weather you had fever (during the period of sore throat and during the time when you were measuring pulse). Any physical or psychological nervousness also increases heart rate.

2. Headache can be a symptom of sore throat, impacted wisdom tooth, refractive error, and obviously migraine etc. Additionally migraine can be aggravated by physical exercise ( as in your case post-summer strength training), any physical illness ( sore throat ). Headache (non-migranous nature) can be caused by refractive error (astigmatism in your case). However, headache due to refractive error usually take some time to get relieved after using spectacle( not so fast , as you are thinking, within 2 days of not using spectacle).

I feel your cause for headache is multifactorial, as already explained above.

If you are not satisfied with above explanation for your rise pulse rate, you can do ECG

You nee to treat sore throat with medications, warm saline gargling etc in consultation with doctor, important to take rest, avoid training for some time, use spectacle regularly. And it is equally important to decide weather you need prophylaxis for migraine. Moreover treatment of migraine is not only drugs but also life style modification, avoidance of triggering factors etc.

Hope the information is appropriate and adequate that you were looking for.

I am available for follow up query.