Sore throat, having difficulty while swallowing. Chances of having lump?

ENT Specialist
sore throatsore throat for about 4 days. it is either not getting better or getting worse. no fever. pain occurs when swallowing, toewards the top back of the mouth. little cough, but not bad. a little congestion. but there is a strong nasal drip. I'm.not sure if this related because I've felt this for a few months, but I think there might be a lump on the right side of my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX no pain though. there was a little discomfort when swallowing while I was laying down, but because of the sore throat, I don't notice it.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding your post nasal drip, persistent sore throat, and pain on deglutition.

Considering your problems it is clear that you are having chronic sinusitis which is responsible for post nasal drip for last few months. This drip in the throat is giving rise to persistent infection in the form of sore throat, this sore throat when involves posterior part of the tongue you feel pain on swallowing.

You have noticed a painless lump on the right side of XXXXXXX XXXXXXX which gives little discomforts on swallowing while you were laying down. Since this lump is painless thus indicates for lymph node lump due to chronic infection going on in sinuses and throat.

To make the proper diagnosis few basic investigations are helpful-
(1) C. T. scans paranasal sinuses.
(2) C / S of throat swab.
(3) F.N.A.C. From lump in neck.
(4) Blood - CBC, ESR, Blood sugar, Serum Proteins.

Sinusitis, sore throat and neck lump appear to be interrelated regarding their nature and severity, above investigations are helpful.

Hope your query is explained well.

With Regards.
Follow-up: Sore throat, having difficulty while swallowing. Chances of having lump? 1 hour later
I don't know how long it will be before I can confirm the diagnosis. what kind of treatment can I do immediately? and then if your diagnosis is correct what would be prescribed treatment?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 53 minutes later
Welcome for rewriting to H.C.M.
I read your query regarding duration of disease from the very beginning, confirmation of diagnosis and treatment.
In this connection, I would like to tell you, that you require thorough examination of your nose, paranasal sinuses, throat and neck and possibly diagnostic nasal endoscopy to collect important clinical findings and after their co-relation with inferences of investigations will direct us towards correct diagnosis, which will then plan for treatment.
All this demands specialist care by E. N. T. Specialist, so please contact any XXXXXXX E. N. T. Specialist for your treatment.

A course of antibiotics and symptomatic treatment is all that would be required on an immediate basis.

With Regards.