Sore throat, enlarged cervical nodes, no rashes, positive strep test, bloating. What is wrong?

I am 18 years old and I have a sore throat. I've had it for 11 days. 10 days ago I went to the doctor. My doctor said my eardrums are clear and my throat is red, but I have no tonsils. I had enlarged anterior cervical nodes, on both sides and they're tender. I have no rashes and I He said I didn't have any abnormal sounds in my chest. He felt my belly and said I don't have any enlarged organs. They did a rapid strep test which was positive and they gave me penicillin V, 250 milligrams 4 times a day and I have taken them for 10 days. Now, I'm going back because my throat is only a little bit better and I still feel tired. Yesterday, I noticed 2 small posterior cervical nodes, and my stomach feels bloated and full. I'm in anatomy class so I think I'm right on where the lymph nodes are. I don't smoke and I don't take anything except birth control. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of. I've had fever but not very high. I'm not feeling much better, even though I took the medicine. What's wrong?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

To me this sounds very much like infectious mononucleosis, also called "glandular fever". It is self-limiting and you will be fine.

I know. Even doctors and medical students can be neurotic, so here we go: This is not cancer, not Hodgkin's Lymphoma or Non-Hodgkin's etc. You are going to be fine!

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.