Sore throat, enlarged cervical nodes, no rashes, positive strep test, bloating. What is wrong?
User rating for this question
I am 18 years old and I have a sore throat. I've had it for 11 days. 10 days ago I went to the doctor. My doctor said my eardrums are clear and my throat is red, but I have no tonsils. I had enlarged anterior cervical nodes, on both sides and they're tender. I have no rashes and I He said I didn't have any abnormal sounds in my chest. He felt my belly and said I don't have any enlarged organs. They did a rapid strep test which was positive and they gave me penicillin V, 250 milligrams 4 times a day and I have taken them for 10 days. Now, I'm going back because my throat is only a little bit better and I still feel tired. Yesterday, I noticed 2 small posterior cervical nodes, and my stomach feels bloated and full. I'm in anatomy class so I think I'm right on where the lymph nodes are. I don't smoke and I don't take anything except birth control. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of. I've had fever but not very high. I'm not feeling much better, even though I took the medicine. What's wrong?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.
To me this sounds very much like infectious mononucleosis, also called "glandular fever". It is self-limiting and you will be fine.
I know. Even doctors and medical students can be neurotic, so here we go: This is not cancer, not Hodgkin's Lymphoma or Non-Hodgkin's etc. You are going to be fine!
I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.
Dr Andrew Rynne.
People also viewed
- Have sore throat negative strep test taking penicillin gargling reason
- Strep rash bad headache sore throat thirsty
- Strep and no sore throat
- Scar tissue after tonsillectomy in adults
- What does it mean if heart is working 22 percent
- Augmentin 228 mg is okay to used by 8 months baby?
- Total cholesterol 324, ldl 223, hdl 41
- Tonsillitis adults unresponsive to antibiotics
- Witch anesthesia used for adult tonsillectomy
- Blisters in back of throat in adults
- High blood pressure in 23 year old males
- Hydrogen peroxide adrk spots
- Strep sore throat
- 22months daughter indigestion problem
- Remedy for strep sore throat