Sore throat, ear pressure, jaw pain, tiredness, aching. Does not hurt to swallow. Was exposed to mumps but am vaccinated

On Friday night I started having a sore throat. This is now combined with a lot of pressure in my ear and pain in my jaw (both lower jaw and upper gums around teeth), tiredness and feeling achy. It does not hurt to swallow, drink or eat but actually just feels like there is a lot of pressure in ear and jaw. I am an American living in China and it is very hard to get medical care so I want to avoid going to the doctor if at all possible. I doubt this is the issue but was exposed to mumps last week. I did receive the mumps immunization as a child though. No fever.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It doesn’t seem to be related to mumps if you are already vaccinated, but mumps does cause ear issues in acute phase.
You seem to be suffering from a nose and throat are interconnected, an infection in one leads to an infection in the other 2 as well.
This can lead to increased congestion behind the nose that causes itchiness of throat with burning at times, and it leads to inflammation of the .eustachian tube that does cause pressure in ear causing pain.
I would suggest the following:
1.     Steam inhalation 2-3 times a day
2.     Warm saline gargles for throat 4-6 times a day
3.     Tablet cetrizine 10 mg once a day will help. Tablet Benadryl 1 tablet at bedtime will also relieve the symptoms

If your symptoms don’t resolve within 4-5 days, please see a physician for a course of antibiotics.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.