Sore throat, ear ache, cold, cough, greenish phlegm, lost voice

I have had sore throat, earache, aches and pains, cold, cough where I am bringing up greenish catarrh like substance for over a week. My doctor says it is a virus but I seem to be feeling worse rather than better each day. I have slso completely lost my voice for 5 days now.
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with a degree in subsubspeciality in medicine.
I read your mail with diligence.
Sore throat, sever laryngitis(loss of voice) aches & pains, cold and cough indicate a severe viral infection. Two things lead me away from it being viral or only viral:
1. Your feeling that you are in fact worse than what you were 3 days ago and
2. Greenish catarrh like substance you are bringing up.

You have not mentioned therefore I assume you have no fever, however, at age 60 absence of fever does not mean that we are not dealing with bacterial infection per se. It could be superadded over the viral infection which was there initially.

In absence of physical examination and basic investigations like complete blood count, a chest x-ray and sputum cytology and culture, it is not possible to prescribe any antibiotic to you. Your illness is a cause for concern not alarm but I would urge you to visit your doctor today by taking an urgent appointment. If you do not get appointment in outopatients department please get yourself seen and investigated in Emergency Room for I think, we can not wait another day. And in your own words you are feeling worse by the day.

Meanwhile, I suggest, you take steam inhalation and over the counter available cough expectorant. And for aches and pains a drug like Tylenol available OTC will be good enough till you see a doctor.

If there is any further question. I will be be happy to answer.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD(Medicine) DM(Cardiology)