Sore throat due to swollen glands in neck, weakngess, dizziness, thick mucus. Emergency?

It started with a severe sore throat 2 weeks ago which I then realised was related to my swollen glands in my neck. I have been feeling very weak and dizzy and just want to sleep. I still have dark green thick mucus in my throat but not on my chest or in my nose. Should I go to the doctors? Will anti biotics help?
just check my email address is correct YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

There are two possible causes of the symptoms which you are reporting. The first possible cause would be a virus Which may include infectious mononucleosis. This type of infection is well known to cause significant fatigue as well as sore throat and swelling of lymph nodes.

The second possible cause would be bacteria such as strep which also can cause fever as well as sore throat and swollen lymph nodes.

I think at this point it would be beneficial for you to visit with your doctor might run a quick test for strep or possibly for mononucleosis. At that point your doctor to make recommendations regarding whether you might benefit from antibiotics.

Thank you again for sending a question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga