Sore throat, dry cough, runny nose. Taken ciprofloxacin. Provide treatment and advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi,I just got back from vacation on the beach 7 days ago, and begun with a sore throat, which then turned into dry cough, I also had a very runny nose to the point that it hurt to blow my nose because it was so red. I begun using ciproflaxsocin and the runny nose stopped and went down to just a bit of yellow mucus with high viscosity, I still have a very bad dry cough but no fever, and I can feel the back of my throat swollen, but Im not in big pain. This morning I noticed my tongue is very white and dry. I've been in bed for 5 days now sleeping and resting, taking lots of liquid and during the day I seem to get a better but at nights with the cold I get pretty bad and it seems I'm not making any progress. Also at times I get very cold and sweat a lot to the point that I can feel my clothes wet. I've been using dry cough pearls to help me not cough but even using them the cough doesnt stop completely. Im still on ciprox but it doesn't seem to be doing much to cure me. Can you help me know what it is?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
From your symptoms it seems that you had a viral infection involving your upper respiratory tract. In such cases, antibiotic like ciprofloxain is not of much help.
These symptoms are usually self limiting. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of
a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days
b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril
c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers orally.
d) Avoiding dust and allergies
e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids.
You can try using steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone/momentasone) and an antihistaminic (fexofenadine/cetrizine).
All these are prescription medicines and can be taken only after physical examination. So, kindly get these medicines prescribed by your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.