Sore throat, dry cough and sinusitis symptoms after travelling. Taken Ibuprofen and nasal decongestant. Need antibiotics?

Just came back from china to USA. Having some runny nose sore throat and sinus issues for last 3 days. I was avoiding to take antibiotics like cefixime or azithral . Just took some ibuprofane and nasal decongestant. But continue to feel tired and slightly feverish but don't seem to have a fever.
I am now starting to have dry cough

Should I take antibiotics?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

You are having viral infection.

Normally you don't need antibiotics for viral infections.

However since you have developed dry cough after three days, it could be due to secondary bacterial infection.

You can start AZITHROMYCIN and take it for three days. It is a prescription drug. Please consult your doctor and take it.

Take some antihistamines along with steam inhalation.

I hope I have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.

Thanks and wish you best of luck.
Follow-up: Sore throat, dry cough and sinusitis symptoms after travelling. Taken Ibuprofen and nasal decongestant. Need antibiotics? 13 hours later
Is it normal to have sinus problem around eye during this time. When I was on the flight I had a sharp pain around the eyes at a specific height as the plane was coming down.

Also, now I have taken Azithral and I am starting to see XXXXXXX nasal discharge so probably taking antibiotic was a good thing. But I have a slight feeling of breathlessness. Is that normal?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 minutes later
Your running nose might have triggered the sinusitis and there is nothing to worry about that as antibiotics,steam and antihistaminics will take care of that.
Your breathlessness seems to be due to the chest congestion.
If breathlessness increases,you must consult your doctor for diagnosing the exact cause and prescribing the appropriate medicines.
Normally bronchdilators are prescribed in such cases where chest congestion along with cough is present.
Thanks and best of luck.