Sore throat, diagnosed as pharyngitis, prescribed Doxily and Rolosol. Pain continues after medication. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi,I am AAAA.I am suffering from sore throat which the ENT doctor diagnosed me pharyngitis.He prescribed me three medicines-(1). Doxily-CV (2).Rolosol (3). Lavocast tablets and i have completed taking all the medicine,but the pain still continuing.What shall i do now?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a throat swab sent for bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. The antibiotic may then be changed accordingly. Most antibiotics show results in 48-72 hours. Since how many days have you been taking the antibiotic?

3. Diclofenac (Rolosol) is not a powerful analgesic when taken orally. You may take brufen or tramadol instead. If there is still no relief, injectable painkillers may help.

4. Start a medicated gargle such as Betadine or Tantum.

5. If you do not improve in a couple of days, get your self re-examined.

6. Get your routine blood tests done. These will also help differentiate viral infections which may not respond to antibiotics.

7. Try turmeric in warm milk at night. Do you have a cough?

8. You may follow up with the results of your examination and investigations here for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sore throat, diagnosed as pharyngitis, prescribed Doxily and Rolosol. Pain continues after medication. What to do? 2 hours later
Can pharyngitis causes cancer? or only treatment with appropriate medicine will cure it.
I am actually school science teacher by porfession. My another question is:is the pharyngitis that i have is due to chalks dust? or a chalk dust that enters inside our body cause irritation and cause pharyngitis?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 31 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Pharyngitis does not cause cancer.

2. Pharyngitis wil respond to treatment.

3. Chalk dust allergy is common. It may cause allergic symptoms , pharyngitis , laryngitis and respiratory symptoms and so on. There is no cure for allergy, however it can be controlled. Avoidance is the best measure.

4. You may shift to non-dust chalks, white board markers (which also have irritant vapors), Chart paper or Over-Head Projectors.

I must emphasize that at your age, throat cancer is rare. You may get a videolaryngoscopy done if you have hoarseness of voice.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sore throat, diagnosed as pharyngitis, prescribed Doxily and Rolosol. Pain continues after medication. What to do? 4 hours later
Here in Nagaland i am afraid that wrong treatment can be given to me.There are history of many wrong treatment given to the patients resulting death of many patients. That is why i am clarifying from you again and again

1.Is pharyngitis associated with back pain and bodyache?
2. Is whitish mucus covering of the tongue a sign of pharyngitis?

As a teacher i used to speak in the class loudly.Is that aggrevate the situation of pharyngitis?
Is honey good for treatment of pharyngitis?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Pharyngitis does not cause death, however severe it may be.

2. Pharyngitis may be associated with backache and body ache especially in cases of viral infections. In viral infections antibiotics only prevent secondary bacterial infection. Get your throat swab done including the whitish mucus coating on the tongue. Use a stronger pain killer.

3. A coated tongue is usually due to poor oral hygiene, fungal infections, excessive use of antibiotics or steroids, dehydration and indigestion.

4. Speaking loudly may aggravate pharyngitis and usually also leads to laryngitis or hoarseness of voice.

5. Have honey with turmeric in a cup of warm milk at night just before sleeping. Do not have any water of food after this.

Regards.