Sore throat, coughing, ear ache, hoarse voice. Pain in rib cage and dry cough after antibiotics. Please help

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, I went to the doctors two weeks ago cause I was coughing with a sore throat, ear ache and very hoarse. They gave me an antibiotic and a pill to control my cough but I feel that my cough is now very dry and I am still very hoarse. Also I have a bad pain under my right rib cage. It hurts mostly when I sit or lean towards the right. I've never been this hoarse before and it's been two weeks. I feel it should have gone away by now. Please help.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The best way forward is to get a throat examination and a videolaryngoscopy done. Also, get a chest X-ray done.

2. For the dry cough you should get your physician to start an anti-allergic and change the cough suppressant containing either Dextromethorphan, Levodropropizine or Levocloperastine. Steam inhalation and medicated gargles will help. A homemade mixture of fresh cream and honey (4:1), with a few drops of ginger juice and optional black pepper (to taste) will help soothe the throat irritation.

3. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. If you can share the video laryngoscopy images or DVD, it will help in suggesting further treatment.

4. Is there any acid reflux? If all signs of the infection have subsided or edema of the vocal cords is seen, a short course of steroids under strict medical supervision may help restore your voice soon.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sore throat, coughing, ear ache, hoarse voice. Pain in rib cage and dry cough after antibiotics. Please help 50 minutes later
what would the pain under my rib cage be? It hurts all the time but mostly when I sit down. I usually have to lean to my left side since the pain is under my right side ribgage

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The pain under your right rib cage may be due to the following reasons:
a. Continuous cough episodes may cause stretching and inflammation of rib cage muscles and cartilage.
b. Paradoxical drug side effects such as diarrhea by amoxicillin ans constipation by benzonatate.
c. Gastritis, liver and gall bladder inflammation, incidental renal stones and so on.

2. Hot fomentation and a mild painkiller should relieve the pain if it is due to cough.

3. Your physician may investigate this further if it does not subside.

Regards.