Sore throat, cold shivers, sore skin, sore throat, red bumps on face. What is going on?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I started with a sore throat, cold shivers and sore skin all over, now Ive just got the sore throat, but also i have a lot of red bumps all over my face and bumps all under my skin on my fingers over night. Whats going on?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
According to the description of your symptoms the most probable condition likely in your case is a viral infection which usually presents as weakness , low fever, respiratory symptoms ( sore throat , rhinitis , cough etc ) and progresses in some cases to a viral exanthem ( rash ) .These symptoms though appearing scary are usually self limiting and resolve on its own or with supportive therapy within a week or two.
The other less likely condition could be an allergic reaction either to a recently introduced food or medicine or any other contact allergen .
In allergy too the sore throat may be present however itching is a major symptom .

The treatment in any case is mainly symptomatic or supportive for example antihistamine drugs like desloratidine or cetrizine for the rash , antiinflammatory analgesic like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for sore throat or any pain/ fever/ swelling associated, local application of soothing agents like calamine lotion on the affected skin etc.
Apart from this you need to take plenty of fluids to keep yourself hydrated, have a nutritious diet and warm saline gargles thrice daily for faster relief.
If however the symptoms worsen or persist after a week , or you develop any danger symptoms like breathing difficulty , swelling ir bleeding from any site, high fever , pustular rash etc then it's best to consult your doctor promptly for confirming the diagnosis and appropriate management .
As of now you may wait and watch but please do seek a consultation with your doctor for confirmation ( by physical examination) as and when feasible to be on the safer side .Please do not panic and feel free to clear any more doubts.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Sore throat, cold shivers, sore skin, sore throat, red bumps on face. What is going on? 3 hours later
I gave up and went to the ER. It's actually Hand Foot Mouth disease :S
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes, Hand foot mouth disease is a viral infection and Is self limiting too.
It does need supportive treatment occasionally (which i have already mentioned )and is contagious .You are most contagious the first week you have the disease.
Generally, complete recovery occurs in 5 to 7 days but complications like dehydration and secondary skin infections should be avoided by adequate hydration and hygiene.
Oral blisters might be painful and cause difficulty in swallowing for which local anaesthetics like lidocaine and benzocaine as per your doctors prescription might be helpful.
So please take care and wish you a speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries .