Sore throat, bleeding and sore gums, no fever, tiredness, stressed. Should I see a doctor?

For the last couple of weeks I have had a sore throat (on the left side only). It did ease a bit after the first few days. But, the last couple of days, it has become really sore again, and this morning I noticed that my gums on the left side were sore and bleeding when I brushed them.

I do not have a fever. Temp this morning was 36.4 degrees celsius. I am very tired too, but I am also experiencing a very stressful time right now.

Work recently painted inside the office, so I thought it might be due to that. But I am not sure. I also started smokling again recently due to the high levels of stress I am experiencing. So, I am not sure if this is caused by my bad habits, paint fumes or an illness.

Is it worth me seeing my doctor?

Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think the fatigue and the sore throat could simply be a viral infection or an allergy and you should be able to get past it on your own. You should be taking Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet as and when required ( do not take more than 4 tablets in a day) and Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg one tablet once daily.
In addition, steam inhalation, warm fluids and lozenges would also help tremendously.
As far as the bleeding gums are concerned, you should be seeing a dentist to see whether we are missing anything or not. This could be due to an infection which we would not want to miss. Till then, have plenty of citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, gooseberries.
I am sure you'd be feeling better very soon.