Sore throat and pain while swallowing things, fever and headache. Feels like ears filled with vaccum. Reason?

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm having soar throat and pain while swallowing things. Also my ears are closed and its like vaccum created in them. I have terrible head ache and a little fever also.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later
Hello

Welcome in H.C.M. for query.

I read your query regarding sore throat, pain on swallowing, blocked both ears and giving feeling of vacuum in ears, and headache & fever.

After co-relating your symptoms with possible pathophysiological development, it appears as most likely you are suffering from Acute pharyngitis with acute otitis media.

Here you inflammation in throat is giving rise to pain on swallowing and inflammatory swelling in throat had blocked the Eustachian tube opening in throat which results in lack of ventilation of middle ear and simultaneously there developed negative pressure in middle ear which you felt as vacuum in ear and ultimately ear gets blocked. All of these are also responsible for headache.

To treat the condition you may take-

1- Paracetamol.

2- Tab Cetrizine.

3- steam inhalation.

4- antibiotic & decongestant.

I hope this will help you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Sore throat and pain while swallowing things, fever and headache. Feels like ears filled with vaccum. Reason? 9 minutes later
Thank you so much. You mentioned 4- antibiotic & decongestant.

Which antibiotic & decongestant can i use. Please suggest some name.

Thanks for writing back to us.

Selection of antibiotic is based on physical examination and culture and sensitivity of throat swab. This is possible through your GP only. It is not advisable to take any group without consult.

Regards.