Sore throat and bruise on neck. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I went to my GP this week to see if I had strep throat or a virus as I had a sore throat for several days and it hurt when I swallowed, He checked my throat, ears, lymph nodes etc. and all was fine. What developed the day I went to the doctor was a big bruise on the front of my neck. My Doctor was perplexed but he wasn't concerned. This is so unusual that it bothers me not to know what caused it. The only things that happened prior is that I was at a wedding and talking over music and when I was eating something with alot of garlic, i noticed it in my throat. Then the next morning I went to use mouthwash and when I put it in my mouth I almost accidentally swallowed it and the reflex of me stopping the swallow caused a really strange sensation in my throat almost like a pop or swoosh. I am a fairly healthy female, 57, 179 lbs. exercise regularly. I do plan on going to an ENT but I am headed out of town and am concerned I wont get in before I have to leave. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get the bruise examined. Mouthwash no problem.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. If you can upload a close up image of the bruise, it may help. It is an unusual symptom. Is it painful? Has it increased or decreased in size? Does it itch? Could it be an insect bite?

2. The mishap with the mouthwash is common and not a cause for worry. No long term problem is expected, though initial discomfort is common.

3. I would recommend that the bruise be examined by a doctor. An anti-allergic and a local ointment may be prescribed. Blood tests and a Coagulogram may be required. Did you take any anti inflammatory medication for the sore throat?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Sore throat and bruise on neck. What should I do? 26 minutes later
My GP said he would have had me get a blood test if it looked like it might be an issue throughout my body. I did take aspirin and used throat spray for my sore throat and I use several vitamin supplements as well.
I will try to send a picture. The bruise is large but it is "breaking up". The top part of bruise is smaller and in the middle of the front of my neck. It hurt to touch a little when my Doctor touched it on Monday but no longer does. It is like it settled at the base of neck above my colarbone. Also, the discomfort with my swallowing has improved too.
I would think it is too large for it to come from an insect bite.

I haven't had any reflux issues that I am aware of. Can it come from something like that?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, a blood test would be a good idea, especially if such bruises appear elsewhere on the body. Avoid any further aspirin or similar drugs.

2. Since it seems to be subsiding, there is no cause for worry.

3. Reflux is unlikely to be related to this.