Sore throat after flu, pain in neck and ear. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have had the flu and still kept a sore throat. It has been pain in the right side down my neck and in my ear. It has been 3 weeks now and there appears to be a hole or something in the back of my throat. wbc is over 11.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Sore throat with WBC count more than 11,000 with pain in the ear and neck is indicative of an infection in your throat most likely a bacterial infection.
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2)For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.
3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Soar Substances.
4)Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to get relief and you can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination and a throat swab culture.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.