Sore throat after a french kiss. Later had trench mouth. Is this HIV related? Why did I have fever?

I had sex with a prostitute. I used condom but I kissed her deeply(French Kiss). weeks later I found out that there is a sore in my mouth when I went to dentist!

after five weeks, I had Angina XXXXXXX or ANUG (Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis) or Trench Mouth. I solved the problem but after surfing on net, I realized that there could be relation between HIV and ANUG. Please tell me what is the relation between them? this has really scared me. Some websites mentioned ANUG as a symptom of HIV :(((

I also should add I had fever those days and I cured trench mouth with penicillin!
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 18 hours later

A patient with HIV may present with ANUG (Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis). Alternatively ANUG may present in isolated clinical manner.

HIV or AIDS can have different presentations and to say that your symptoms were as a result of a HIV infection is a rare possibility, given the fact that there is no other symptoms of viremia etc.

You can get an investigation for HIV done for yourself and if that's negative even after 12 weeks of exposure there is nothing to wory at all.

Please feel free to ask me further doubts, if any.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Sore throat after a french kiss. Later had trench mouth. Is this HIV related? Why did I have fever? 33 hours later
Thank you Doctor...

my question is that trench mouth could be cause of mouth kiss or not? you know my case is a little bit complicated because I'm right now in the situation that I can't give a HIV test! that's why I'm worry about it. before this angina, I had also problem with my wisdom teeth. I hope this illness related to my dental things not my stupid mistake with a prostitute :(
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 16 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
ANUG can result from poor oral hygiene, poor nutrition, smoking and throat, tooth, or mouth infections. It does not result from a mouth kiss. I would suggest you see a dentist so that the infection can be taken care of.
Hope this helps
Follow-up: Sore throat after a french kiss. Later had trench mouth. Is this HIV related? Why did I have fever? 2 days later
Thank you Doctor!

My last question is that at what stage of HIV, the oral illnesses will appear? is it possible that they show up at the first stage of HIV?

I also didn't change condom for every act of intercourse. Is it necessary to change condom for every act of intercourse which I didn't do?
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later

Hi again,

Thanks for the follow up.

Funguses which are opportunistic organisms are commonest causes of oral lesions in a HIV infected individual. As you improved with penicillin, you probably were infected by a group of bacterial microbes. Though there is no clear cut rule limiting oral lesion to a particular stage of HIV and Oral lesion can occur in any stages of HIV. I will not be wrong to say 'bacterial ANUG' lesions are usually found during third or last stages of HIV.

Regarding changing condom, it is essential to change condom whenever there is change of partners. If you were involved with a single partner and you didn't have a condom break or slip, you need not worry.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have any further queries, please close this discussion. Any feedback is welcome.

Best Regards