Sore throat accompanied by a small cough, hoarse voice. Is it tonsillitis ?

In the last 24 hours i have had a very sore throat accompanied by a small cough. I have been coughing up a small amount of mucus and when i woke this morning i had a hoarse to nearly no voice. My voice has slowly returned bit by bit during the day but is still a bit hoarse.
I have noticed no white spots in my mouth so i am assuming i don't have tonsillitis.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 32 minutes later

The hoarseness of voice, minor cough and sore throat are part of Viral infection would be the commonest cause.

Salt water or betadine gargles and steam inhalation will help in relieving the congestion and aid in symptom relief. You may also start taking analgesics like panadol cold and flu twice a day for 2-5 days.

It is most likely to resolve spontaneously in a few days. But monitor the progress of the symptoms. You need to visit your primary healthcare provider if they become worse or if you develop fever which is signs of secondary infections. A course of antibiotic would be prescribed to take care of secondary infections.

Hope this helps. Should you have any more doubts pertaining to this issue, feel free to ask me. I will be available to address them.

Wishing you an early recovery