Sore throat. Tonsils hurt, white spots and bleeding with cough. Why aren't medicines helping?

ENT Specialist
throative had a sore throat for about 4days now. it has gotten worse. my tonsils hurt really bad and it hurts to swallow and they also have white spots and started to bleed. i also have a bad cough. ive tried lots of med and nothing is working.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. In the above situation I admit the patient for intravenous antibiotics and supportive medication.

2. A throat swab will help decide the type of antibiotics to be administered.

3. From your description it seems to be Acute Follicular Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis. Supportive measures include analgesics, anti allergics, cough suppressants, medicated gargles, bland diet, hydration and rest.

4. If indoor admission is not possible, get the throat swab done on an OPD basis and change the antibiotics under medical supervision. Add supportive medication. Check for any other co-morbid conditions such as diabetes which reduce immunity.

5. You may also reply back with details of the previous medication.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.