Sore throat. Red vein on tonsils. Express concern over it?

My throat has been sore for the last few days, I looked at my tonsils and it looks like i have a big red vien on my right tonsil. when I swallow I can feel it and it is sore. Is it something I should be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 27 minutes later

You have a sore throat and a big red vein in your tonsils.The vein will look red due to inflammation caused due to infection, do not worry about it.It is the tonsillar vein.
Tonsils are lymohoid tissue and can swell from any kind of infection in the area that they drain. The cause of these signs and symptoms like Throat pain,Difficulty swallowing,Red and swollen tonsils could be a viral infection , bacterial or streptococcal infection.
1.You can Gargle with warm salt water.
2.Drink plenty of water
2..Eat soothing foods like broths, soups, applesauce, cooked cereal, mashed potatoes, soft fruits, yogurt and soft-cooked eggs.
4.Stay away from irritants like Cigarette smoke , fumes from paint or cleaning.
5.Use a humidifier. Adding moisture to the air can help ease discomfort.

If the condition persists you will need to get your throat examined by a ENT physician.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health