Sore throat. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
I have a sour throat. How can i get relieved out of it?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 44 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Acute attack of sore throat is usually of viral in aetiology. Most of the time, viral infection is self-limiting and gets relieved with-in a week. But if it is super-added with bacterial infection then you will require appropriate antibiotics for the control of the same.

Core-Dx is not enough to alleviate your problems. In fact, it can even delay the recovery, as it alters the consistency of nasal and throat secretions.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water; this helps in increasing the blood supply to the affected site and helps in faster relief. Secondly, you need to do gargles with povidone iodine solution to reduce the micro-organism load in the throat and anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for reducing the pain.

Avoid coffee/chilled or hot beverages/oily food/smoking/alcohol (if any), till you recover completely.

If the symptoms do not subside with the above treatment, then you will have to consult your doctor for a thorough examination and management. Antibiotics (such as combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic) can be started only after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon