Sore testicle, not sensitive to touch, painful. Is this a strained muscle or ligament?

My husband is 40, weighs about 215 and is 5'11. He's not had any major illnesses or injuries. Used to be a pro soccer player. He pulled his left hamstring 4 days ago while playing kickball with some kiddos, so been sort of treating that (but not consistent). Then 2days later he wakes up with a sore right testicle/groin (more fucused on testicle). It is not sensitive to the touch, or when lying/sitting down. but very painful when bearing weight on right leg (not on left leg...other than hamstring soreness). Also too painful to lift anything (no hernia-like protrusions visable). Yesterday he had to be on his feet for a few hours and the pain lessened. Then increased again after he was lying down for an hour or so (again only when bearing weight or process of sitting/standing). And really bad again this morning after resting all night. Is this a strained muscle or ligament due to overcompensation of pulled hamstring?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A sore testicle or groin is not likely to be related to a pulled hamstring muscle. It is most likely due to a scrotal or testicular infection such as epididymitis or orchitis.

Testicular examination by your physician will be helpful in making a diagnosis. I suggest to consult his primary physician for an examination.

Till then he can start with tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days. Hot fomentation will also help in relieving the pain.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.