Sore swollen knee after injecting antifreeze. What are the complications?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, i have a friend who has been injecting 1ml antifreeze at a time into her knee. Her knee is sore and swollen, what are the complications pls. Yes this is a serious question
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Injecting an antifreeze repeatedly in her knee joint is causing inflammation in her knee which is causing soreness and swelling in her knee joint. This can damage her knee joint cartilage and other structures.
I recommend her to stop these injections and consult an orthopedician for the treatment of the damage she has already done.
Meanwhile doing a hot fomentation, avoiding weight bearing on the affected knee and giving rest to the joint will be helpful.
She can take some mild pain killers for the pain and apply flexall for better relief.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.